World Labyrinth day, May 4, 2019, May all beings walk in peace!

 It's May 4, 2019, World Labyrinth Day.  Do you know where your Labyrinth is?  I know where mine is; I just have to go out into the parking lot and draw it.  I have chosen a totally modern asymmetric design.  I'm hoping my magic rocks gathered from glacial lakes in the Canadian Rockies will be the "seeds" for this matrix.  Can a modern asymmetric labyrinth be drawn in a parking lot with no tape measures?





 I have everything I need for a hot California day.  I am so ready. :)



First rock.  Looks good.  Holds down the paper too.  My first discovery with this matrix.  Maps and winds require a solution.


Remember the most important principle of parking lot labyrinths...no bending over if you don't absolutely need to.  Adjust rock position with the open end of your magic staff.


Second rock.  Measure by your own body width (man is the measure of all things!)


Make fine adjustments in rock position.  Use the staff, no bending over.


A few of the rock positions end at 1/2 a body width.  That's pretty easy to measure!



Always do fine adjustments with the staff end.  No bending over.  I ain't getting any younger and that pavement ain't getting any cooler!



Alright.  Just eyeballing it looks like I have the fourth rock positioned.


Last rock check before any lines.  Looks good to me.  I hope this works!



There will be five lines alternating from clockwise to counter clockwise.  Line 1, clockwise, looks like the map.



Here goes counter clockwise line 2!


Hmmm.  Line 2 looks like the map.


Line 3 is clockwise.  Here we go.


Well I ended at some rock.  Hope it's the right one!


Line 3 kinda looks like the map.


I hope this is the right rock!


Close up of the rock.  Note the beauty of glacier lake rocks.  Are those beautiful or what?  Look at those sediment layers.


I think I did line 3 right.


Wo.  Line 4 is a doozy.  I have to reach that rock way over there.  Good thing I picked a light colored rock!  Another discovery while drawing this.  Use easy to see rocks but still big enough to fit in the tube.


Man, Line 4 is a LONG line!


I think it worked though.


Now here is a discovery.  Line 5 is a big looping clockwise line but...if you think of it as a line connecting the two rocks on either side of the entrance but going the long way around...this may not be so bad after all.


It's true.  Funny how you only discover this when you're out there drawing the labyrinth.


Just to double check this discovery I backed off for the big picture.  It's true.  That last line just connects the entrance rocks, but you have to go the long way around!


There, line 5, I just connected the two entrance rocks.


It works!!!!!!  Just look at that asymmetry!  Wow! 


Talk about a modern labyrinth design.  There is one last pinch that almost makes it a maze i.e. there is a dead end path.  A labyrinth has no dead ends.  Mazes have some (many usually).


That is beautiful!  Time to walk this puppy. 


The entrance!  Uh oh.  I forgot something.  I wanted to decorate this labyrinth with an Isiah quote in an email from my church last week.  I only remember the last part of the quote!  I've forgotten the "path" part of the quote!  How ridiculas is that!  I can only remember "rivers in the desert!"


Google to the rescue!


Keep your chalk stubs.  They are perfect for lettering.




Okay, for THIS you have to get down on the ground.



I start to pick up all my rocks to "clean up" after finishing the labyrinth but then I have a little revelation.  I should leave the rocks until I walk to the center of the labyrinth and pick the rocks up on the way out!  That's a big discovery.


So I'm walking the labyrinth and suddenly...WAIT, I did NOT put that rock there!  Umpire, ineligible rock on the field!


You know, as I get closer to the center I think something interesting is going to happen.


Yes, another discovery.  The walker of this labyrinth ends up facing the entrance!  In all the other labyrinths I've walked usually I end up facing the rising sun or facing away from the entrance.  In this one you look back to where you began.  Another interesting discovery.


There it is.  Rock 1.  Time to leave and pick up the rocks on the way out.


I don't think I've ever paid so much attention to my leaving the labyrinth!


Another turn, another rock.  I'm actually paying more attention on the way out!


The last rock at the entrance!  What a fascinating walk! 


World Labyrinth Day!  May all beings walk in peace!

Comments